The Most Active and Welcoming
Resin Surfacing Community Online
Join and Discover everything about Resin.

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members?
Feel free to sign up now.

My driveway is slippy

Discussion in 'Slip Resistance' started by Jack, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Jack

Jack New Member Registered Registered

Hi,

I had my driveway done in resin bound in April this year. Looks beautiful, but is incredibly slippy. I was assured that the surface wouldn't be slippy and really worried now we are getting into wet and colder weather which definitely isn't going to help.

Anything I can do to the surface?

thank you.

2. resinous
  3. Resin Tom

Resin Tom Member Registered Contractor

Hi Jack,

Sorry to hear that. Did your contractor apply any anti-slip (usually crushed glass) on the surface?
    A good install should not be slippy, if crushed glass (or other) is applied evenly across the surface.
    You will be able to tell, simply by passing your hand over the surface. If it's completely smooth, it's likely the contractor didn't apply any/enough anti-slip.

Get in touch with the contractor, they should be able to help.

4. Jack

Okay, thanks Jack!
    I will investigate in the morning. Great forum and really appreciate such a quick response!

5. Resin Tom

Resin Tom Member Registered Contractor

No problem mate! Agreed, fantastic forum @Wayne Hambly has created, just to answer questions like this.
    Please feel free to ask any questions, great community we have and most installers in this game are really good blokes!

6. Jack

:)

7. DriveOwner

DriveOwner New Member Registered Registered

@Jack what was the outcome? Did you manage to fix the slippiness problem?

Alan likes this.
  8. Alan

Alan Active Member Registered Contractor

Hi @DriveOwner ,are you having issues with your drive being slippy?

9. DriveOwner

Hi @Alan I have a slopping drive from the pavement down to our house. Had it done in pattern imprinted concrete about 7 years ago and have had many incidents of people falling over, cars not having traction to get off in the frost etc. Have come up with two sensible options:

1) High Friction surface to be applied to the top 20-30m3 by a highways contractor (£2-3k)

2) To have the complete drive redone with a resin bound overlay and holes drilled into the concrete by a highly reputable contractor on Checkatrade and Which/Trading standards. (£6k)

The issue of what to do has driven me crazy for some time as it's such an expensive one.

Any advice welcome.

Attached Files:

Wayne Hambly and John T like this.
  10. John T

John T Active Member Registered Contractor

Could you not reseal the concrete and broadcast crushed glass as a 3rd option?

11. DriveOwner

I looked at resealing the concrete but it didn't help much when it was first done. Was told by the top guy at Pics that the Rhino grip only lasted about 3 months and you should only reseal every 3-5 years or you make it more slippy.

Unless it could be sealed much better than how it has been done in the past by me or by a professional it's just not good enough.

Thank you very much for the idea. Not saying it's impossible but from what I've seen it seems to be.

Wayne Hambly and John T like this.
  12. John T

John T Active Member Registered Contractor

Fair enough mate I am not hot on imprinted concrete tbh

Resin Bound is a great option and no issue with that gradient if it is glassed properly. High friction is mega abrasive so just be aware of that

DriveOwner and Wayne Hambly like this.
  13. Wayne Hambly

Wayne Hambly Administrator TalkResin+ Contractor

Would agree with this

14. DriveOwner

Thanks for the great replies.

Do you think the high friction surface is over the top for a residential drive? It was only going to be at the top so the front wheels had some decent grip to get off the drive.

Would you be happy installing resin bound on top of pattern imprinted concrete after drilling holes?

Any installer recommendations for the PO7 Portsmouth area?

Thank you

15. Gibbo

Gibbo Member Registered Contractor

People do have resin bonded (high friction surfacing) for driveways but it is very abrasive and nowhere near as decorative as resin bound.

So long as the surface is sound you should be able to instal directly onto the concrete. Best practice would be to scrabble the surface to remove the sealer and some contractors would prime ( but I’m not going to start that debate lol).
    Shouldn’t need to drill holes with the fall, so long as there is sufficient drainage.

DriveOwner likes this.
  16. Gibbo

Gibbo Member Registered Contractor

Hope that helps

DriveOwner likes this.
  17. DriveOwner

Thanks for the great advice.

Any installer recommendations around PO7 Portsmouth area?

Wayne Hambly likes this.
  18. Wayne Hambly

Wayne Hambly Administrator TalkResin+ Contractor

I am sure there was a good company on the south coast called Gecko Projects that might be worth a try.
    Just be aware there is a resin shortage at the minute but some expect supplies to improve for next season.

DriveOwner likes this.
  19. DriveOwner

Thank you to all those who've helped so far. I think I've discounted High Friction Resin Bonded at the top of my pattern imprinted concrete as it will cost nearly £2k and may leave me still needing to change the drive if it doesn't work.

So - Resin Bound it is. What is REALLY confusing me is:

1) To install on top of the pattern imprinted concrete or not? The current drive is on a slope and has a crack in the middle that runs almost top to bottom.

2) I've only spoken to decent installers with plenty of Checkatrade or other feedback but there seems to be a 50-50 split of installing on top of the concrete. Some happy to do it (having inspected the drive) and wish put a mesh over the cracks and "repair them". Some unhappy to attempt it or will accept no responsibility if the resin surface cracks or moves. It makes good sense that this isn't the best option - especially with the upward slope and front wheel drive pressure on the surface pulling off the drive.

3) If going on top of the concrete most people want to drill drainage holes which I've read clog up and just weaken the base concrete (and I think others agreed on here). Being on a slope the water will run off anyway. Some people have also said that the water will eventually cause the resin to lift (being on top of non porous concrete).

4) One of the major benefits of a resin drive is the porous nature of the whole drive when installed on tarmac. The resin is much better at gripping to the tarmac rather than the imprinted concrete and the drainage will be much better too.

So...... Although I'd love to not have to remove 57m2 of concrete that was only put down 7 years ago it seems like the only way I can almost guarantee the resin drive will last and look good for at least 10 (hopefully 20 yrs) is to get rid and have the proper base + tarmac.

£5-6k for resin on top of concrete
    £8.5 - £10k for resin plus new tarmac base

Really appreciate any help. Realise there maybe isn't just 1 answer.

This is a short video of the current surface and slope

Tim Smith and Alan like this.
  20. Alan

Alan Active Member Registered Contractor

Morning mate, I have concerns about this. Will get a proper response back later

DriveOwner likes this.
  21. Tim Smith

Tim Smith New Member Registered Contractor

You are 100% correct in your final summary - to get any decent guarantee you'll have to opt for a full dig out and have a tarmac base installed. That system is the generally considered the best - as you mention, the adhesion is superb because of the texture of tarmac and the porosity (if the correct grade is used).

But in saying that, with that slope the rain should permeate through the resin to the top of the concrete, then fall directly into the drainage, so shouldn't be an issue. Are you having any issues with standing water or drainage?

THE BIG ONE will be that crack. Always difficult to tell from video, but when did that start to appear and has it got progressively bigger?

Jamie and DriveOwner like this.