The Most Active and Welcoming
Resin Surfacing Community Online
Join and Discover everything about Resin.

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members?
Feel free to sign up now.

Embedding Fibre Optics into Resin Floor

Discussion in 'General Consumers Discussion' started by HamishMc001, Jul 10, 2019.

1. HamishMc001

HamishMc001 New Member Registered Registered

Im looking for advise on pouring a Resin Dance floor with fibre optics.

My project involves pouring a resin floor and embedding side emitting fibre optics of various sizes through the resin floor.
    The size of the floor would be aprox 3m x 4m. All of the strands of fibre optic would bundle at one end and connect into a light emitter which would connect to a DMX light controller. The strands would flair out from this point into swirls of light strands that will run throughout the floor. The floor will also have some metallic fleck added to the resin to increase the sparkle and effects of the lighting.

I plan to pour the resin floor in 3 layers. First layer would be >1mm thick. Once this has set I will arrange the Fibre optic strands in the correct position, and connect to the light source to test the effects. Once satisfied with the layout, I would then pour the second layer of resin covering all of the light strands. Once this has set, I would carefully sand back any exposed strands, (hopefully none). I would then pour the finishing layer of floor. I plan on the total thickness of the floor to be 4-6mm. The entry point of the Fibre optics from the light box, into the floor would then be framed and protected.

I suspect that there may be issues with air bubbles forming around the strands. Also don't know if the resin will cause any degradation to the fibre optics over time.

Any information or experiences with this would be greatly appreciated.

i will document the whole project and will upload the results once done.

Thank you for any help.

TalkResin, Stevie and Mark Almond like this.
  2. longrake
  3. Mark Almond

Mark Almond Active Member TalkResin+ Supplier Registered

This sounds like a fascinating project and I look forward to seeing the images from development to completion. With such a niche project I suspect any useful advice will be limited however I can suggest using a polyaspartic system and avoiding anything with a solvent content. I’m unsure of your location however we would be more than happy to provide you with access to our laboratory and we can provide any trail data, images or testing you may require. We would not charge for any development materials or lab time as the project sounds fascinating and something, we would be more than happy to assist with it in terms of the chemistry and testing.

Air bubbles and degradation of the fibres would not be an issue but still, a little lab testing prior to install would be prudent.

TalkResin and Stevie like this.
  4. Stevie

Stevie Member Registered Contractor

Agreed. I’d say this is a polyaspartic job.
    Epoxys yellow over time (even the ultra clear grades).
    100% solids to avoid air bubbles. Also, don’t heavily mix (whisk) part a and part b too aggressively, as that can trap air.

@Mark Almond is the man, and above sounds like a great idea! Look forward to following

TalkResin and Mark Almond like this.
  5. TalkResin

TalkResin Administrator

Looking forward to following this @HamishMc001
    Thanks for coming to the platform for advise
    @Mark Almond is a great guy and really knows his stuff, so will certainly help you out.

6. TalkResin

TalkResin Administrator

Hey @HamishMc001, any update on this? We'd love to see how the project went :)