The Most Active and Welcoming
Resin Surfacing Community Online
Join and Discover everything about Resin.

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members?
Feel free to sign up now.

Advice needed please

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Sandra L B, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Sandra L B

Sandra L B New Member Registered Registered

Resin bound driveway breaking up. Contractor wont come and repair. Have reported him to trading standards. Can a new resin bound driveway be laid over existing one. Ant advice would be greatly appreciated.

Chris Finch likes this.
  2. resinous
  3. Norm

Norm Member Registered Contractor

Sorry to hear that Sandra. Unfortunately if the existing driveway is breaking up it needs taking up

there is a saying in our industry. It’s only as good as it’s base. If the base is falling apart it’s going to take the surface with it

Karl, Al, Tim and 1 other person like this.
  4. Sandra L B

Thanks for replying its appreciated

5. Alan

Alan Active Member Registered Contractor

Would agree with @Norm Sandra
    Where are you based? We might be able to point you in the direction of a good contractor

Sandra L B likes this.
  6. Sandra L B

Thanks for replying. I live in stockport. Any recommendations you can give would be great thanks

7. Tim

Tim Active Member Registered Contractor

Agree

Alan likes this.
  8. Karl

Karl Member Registered

Start again I’m afraid

9. Sandra L B

Have had some companies come round to give quotes. Some advise digging it all out, including tarmac base, others say they can just remove the resin and relay new resin on tarmac base. What would be the best thing to do?

10. GregT

GregT Member Registered Contractor

Dig out a reinstatement is always best but that clearly comes with a lot more cost

100% the poorly laid resin bound needs to come up but if the tarmac or base is good condition it might not need taking up.

Would be difficult for the contractors to make an assessment without seeing the underlying tarmac

Dug and Sandra L B like this.
  11. Alan

We always push for full dig out so we can fully guarantee the entire system

will do overlay if customer insists but we can’t offer a guarantee if it’s not our base

Mark Almond, Dug and Sandra L B like this.
  12. Mark Almond

Mark Almond Well-Known Member TalkResin+ Supplier Registered

Good morning Sandra,

I’m very sorry to hear about the problems you are having. The advice provided is spot on and no reputable installer would offer a guarantee on overlaying the existing base. There is simply no way to know what quality of base they would be overlaying and if the initial resin install was of a poor quality then there is every reason to assume the base is the same.

If you know the manufacturer of the resin originally used you could try contacting them. We would certainly want to know if a company we supplied had been ripping customers off and would also do all we can to help the customer get what they paid for.

I would add that you should carefully check the credentials of the companies providing estimated for repairs. Are they a member of this community? Are they a VAT registered company with a trading history? Can they show you a local installation completed over twelve months ago?

If they can answer yes to all three of those questions then you should be ok. If you still have any doubts you can ask the following:

At what depth will the resin be installed? The ideal answer should be greater than 15mm.

Ask to see a safety data sheet for the resin ‘B’ component. In section 3.2 of the data sheet a UV stable product will only list Aliphatic and Hexamethylene Di-Isocyanates. A non-UV stable product will list Diphenyl Methane Di-Isocyanate.

You have certainly come to the right place for advice and a TalkResin member would be the ideal company to use.

Best of luck!

Dug, Norm, Thomas and 2 others like this.
  13. Sandra L B

Thank you for your informed advice
    I will def take it on board when deciding who to choose

Mark Almond likes this.
  14. Thomas

Thomas Member Registered Contractor

Well done Mark great comments

Mark Almond likes this.
  15. Sandra L B

Just an update. A company have said they will scrape off the resin. Re do the brick work no problem. The tarmac base is clearly visible due to resin breaking up. The guy is happy from what he can see of the base, but will reavaluate once all resin is removed. My only concern is he is saying a surveyor will come round and check everything before work starts. Is this necessary, or is he just trying to get extra money off me. Obviously having been bitten once I am now extremely cautious and suspicious of being made a mug of twice, and clearly dont want to be throwing good money away yet again. Thanks again for all your responses

Alan likes this.
  16. Alan

Guess they’re just doing their due diligence but if they say they will evaluate once the resin up, not sure what the surveyor is bringing additionally to the table?

It really is a tough one, get some pictures uploaded once the resin has been taken up

17. Sandra L B

Thank you for your response, its greatly appreciated

18. Ben

Ben Member Registered Contractor

They definitely won’t be able to tell if the tarmac is any good without taking up all the resin bound
    (Without proper core test)

19. Mark Almond

Mark Almond Well-Known Member TalkResin+ Supplier Registered

I am certainly not suggesting that this is wrong or that it is an attempt to add unnecessary costs however I am a little surprised that a surveyor would be visiting site. Repairing a resin driveway doesn’t seem to fall under the remit of a construction project requiring an independent survey unless the installer has specific concerns regarding boundary lines or drainage that could affect neighbouring properties? A skilled, experienced bound resin installer is far better placed to assess the site than an independent surveyor.

Regardless, if the cost of such a survey is built in to the price and the installer remains competitive then I can’t see an issue with this other than it being perhaps a little more excessive than due-diligence.

Norm, Thomas and Alan like this.
  20. Sandra L B

Thanks Ben

21. Sandra L B

Thanks Mark